Adjusting to New Surroundings

It’s been awhile since I have updated my blog, but rest assured, I’m alive and kickin’ it!

This summer was super busy – mostly filled with language learning, technical sessions and cultural misunderstandings – but it’s finally over!

On August 8th, I had to pack up my ger and say goodbye to my wonderful host family, which was way harder than I had imagined.

IMG_0869

My host family and I in our traditional Mongolian deels.

I spent two months living with my loving host mom, hilarious host dad, and three amazing sisters. We made so many fond memories together, ate soooo much Mongolian food, watched all of the Korean movies I could imagine, and took thousands of pictures – which were all printed and given to me as a gift upon leaving. I’m so thankful that they agreed to host a random American for a summer, and I’ll cherish the time I spent with them forever.

IMG_0519

My host sisters and I, enjoying slimy cucumber face masks after a long day of language and technical sessions.

After leaving them, I headed to Darkhan for a week where I would find out my permanent site placement (!!), attend conferences with my new supervisor, say goodbye to the people I spent the past two months with, and swear in as an official Peace Corps Volunteer.

I was the most anxious for site placement, because I was afraid to be placed in a soum on my own, in a ger (again), or in Bayan-Olgii, where I’d have to learn the Kazakh language (the predominantly spoken language in that region).

Now, I can’t give out the specific location of my site placement but I can say this: I was placed on my own, in a village, where I will be living in my own wooden house next to a hashaa family. I’ll be using an outhouse to do my business and bathing in a tumpin for the next two years, but I couldn’t be happier.

IMG_1190

My very own wooden house! I have a mud room, an un-insulated room (refrigerator room), and a large (insulated) room to live in.

I was initially terrified of being placed on my own, but after arriving to my village, I feel so much better about my site placement and I can completely see why the Peace Corps placed me here.

On August 14th, in the wee hours of the morning, I arrived to my permanent site after traveling 10 hours by bus and two hours by car. In a daze and half asleep, I was greeted in my village by my new hashaa mom and a mountain of steamy buuz (Mongolian dumplings)! Her and my supervisor helped me get settled into my new wooden house, and then let me get some rest.

For the first time during my Peace Corps experience thus far, I felt completely on my own.

I stood in the center of my new house, looked around, and realized I was home. That night, I fell asleep to the sound of a crackling fire feeling very happy.

When I woke up in the morning, I realized I had no idea what my surroundings looked like. I instantly jumped up out of bed, looked outside, and was in awe of my surroundings.

IMG_1281

This picture was taken while I was standing on “wishing rock,” a tiny island in the middle of the lake, where most boat tours stop for people to take pictures, leave a small donation, and make a wish.

If I stand at the front of my house, I can see mountains in every direction and rows of wooden houses. When I look to my left, I see the tallest mountain top in my village and usually a swarm of seagulls flying in a circle over the lake. The mountain blocks my view of the lake, but if I walk about 10 minutes towards the center of town, I can see the crystal blue lake in all of its glory.

I’ve spent the past week at site hiking, exploring, cooking my own food (!!), napping, getting to know the delguur (shop) owners, meeting with my counterparts, and just enjoying being in the moment.

So far, this experience has taught me to go with the flow and try not to have too high of expectations. Things will work out the way they’re supposed to!

If there’s anything you’d like to know about Mongolian culture, food, language, etc. leave me a comment or send me an email and I’ll be sure to write about it in a future post!

Advertisements

8 thoughts on “Adjusting to New Surroundings

1. Choi August 22, 2017 / 7:59 am

You are so brave to undertake this new adventure! To go by yourself to Mongolia…damn! Exciting!

Liked by 1 person

2. Nancy Mettlach August 22, 2017 / 11:25 am

How brave you are, and they couldn’t have a better person on the job. You know me, I want to know all about the food. I’m really curious as to what the local diet is like. Is it similar to anything we would be familiar with, or is it totally different, Mainly veg, or mainly meat. I think you get the drift. Carry on and keep us posted!

Liked by 1 person

• Lindsey Hogan August 22, 2017 / 12:19 pm

Thank you Nancy!! I’ll be sure to post something about the food soon 🙂

3. Pam G August 22, 2017 / 12:59 pm

So happy for you! Interested in the food also! What is in the dumplings. Send any recipes for what you found you love!

Liked by 1 person

• Lindsey Hogan August 22, 2017 / 1:22 pm

Thank you Mrs. Pam! The dumplings typically consist of meat (beef or mutton), fat and garlic. I’ll try to make a post with common recipes soon!!

4. Anna Hogan August 23, 2017 / 12:28 am

So great to read about how things are going. Looks so beautiful ! So happy to hear your transitioning well. Leo, Onie bugs, and I miss you very much. It’s nice to be able to read your blogs . I’d be interested to hear about the food and different culture compared to here. So interesting. Your in my thoughts and prayers daily. Leo just started soccer today. He joined with our neighbor friend Gavin. He went shopping yesterday with Sissy and got some cool stuff for school. This summer went by the fastest in history for us. Yesterday we got to see the total eclipse , which was very memorizing. God bless you Lindsey. Can’t wait to hear more about your adventure. Love you, Aunt Anna

Liked by 1 person

• Lindsey Hogan August 23, 2017 / 12:30 am

Thank you Aunt Anna. I miss you, Leo and Onie bugs so much!! I’ll make sure to write more about the food and the culture. I hope Leo does well with soccer and school this year!! And I’m so jealous about the eclipse! You couldn’t see it from Asia 😦 love you!!

5. Gail Hendon August 26, 2017 / 2:34 am

Hi Lindsey, loved reading your blog and to hear about how great you are doing. It is so interesting hearing about the Mongolian culture. I too would be interested in the recipes you like the most. From the pictures you have posted this is a beautiful country. I would love to see the mountains and the beautiful surroundings you see just from looking out the window. Sounds like you are keeping busy and meeting some very nice people. Glad they are taking good care of you. Love you, Aunt Gail