From Detroit to UB

This entire week has been wild.

From being told I was a part of the “Chosen 13” who were staying an extra night in South Korea, to learning I will be living in a ger during Pre-Service Training (PST), Peace Corps Mongolia has been an amazing experience thus far.

After arriving in San Francisco with 60-something other Peace Corps volunteers, I learned in one of our first few meetings that I would be a part of a group that would need to stay an extra night in Seoul, South Korea because there wasn’t enough space on the plane for us.

Initially, I was pretty bummed and experiencing some serious FOMO but then I realized that I was able to eat amazing Korean BBQ and explore Seoul – something I probably wouldn’t have done otherwise for a while.

When I finally arrived in Ulaanbaatar (UB) I was overwhelmed and completely exhausted. The “Chosen 13” arrived pretty late at night and squeezed onto a 14 person van to make the drive to our training site.

The following days were spent in meetings learning about all of the Peace Corps rules, expectations and what to do when we experience the inevitable bout of diarrhea.

I also made some amazing new friends that will be along for the ride with me for the next 27 months.

IMG_0254

While this entire week has been fun, exhausting and really exciting, I was still anxious to learn more about my host family. We were instructed that we would learn about our family dynamics and where we would be living during PST on Friday during our last session.

To say I got the best deal of the bunch would be an understatement.

I will have a host dad who is a lawyer and local government official, and a host mom who is a teacher. I have four sisters, ranging from the ages of 4 to 18. My oldest sister has studied English for a few years so communicating should be a little bit easier. I will also have a guard dog on the property that I am assuming will become my best friend. And the best part of all: I AM LIVING IN A GER!

IMG_0244

Only 4 of us were selected to live in a ger and I have no idea how I am one of them.

I will be living with electricity, but without running water. I will be tending to a fire during the colder summer nights and getting the full on Mongolian experience.

I will still be living on my host family’s property and I’ll be able to use these next 3 months as a trial run to see if the ger life is for me.

I probably won’t have reliable wifi during PST but I’ll try to keep everyone updated as often as I can.

Advertisements

8 thoughts on “From Detroit to UB

1. maryhogan1995 June 2, 2017 / 11:42 pm

So excited for you Lindsey. This is going to be an Experience of a lifetime. You are going to learn so much these next 3 months. I know you can do this. Love you so much , Mom 😘

Liked by 1 person

2. Pam G June 3, 2017 / 12:28 am

So excited for you. There are many of us living vicariously thru your experiences. Love the letters from Lindsey and love to you!

Liked by 1 person

3. Gail Hendon June 3, 2017 / 9:25 pm

Hi Lindsey, i wrote a comment to your blog but don’t know what happened to it. Hope you don’t get it twice. I enjoyed your blog. Sounds like you will be with a nice family. So happy for you. The adventures begin! Enjoy, and good luck with your studies! Love you. Aunt Gail

Liked by 1 person

4. Laura Stephens Murphy June 8, 2017 / 12:19 pm

Lindsey, I’m so excited I have found your blog and can read your updates on your amazing adventures now.
    I am so happy you are enjoying your new setting and have been selected to stay with a nice host family. We are thinking about you here in the states and know this will be the experience of a lifetime you will learn so much from. I will continue to watch the page to read the updates from your time volunteering. I’m truly so amazed and proud of all you have accomplished so far and the wonderful young woman you have become. The Mongolia people are very lucky to have you. Take care and sending you love from all of my family. Laura (Stephens) Murphy

Liked by 1 person

• Lindsey Hogan June 10, 2017 / 1:28 pm

Thank you Laura! Life is so amazing here and I really did get lucky with my awesome host family. They’re great and I’m learning so much from them. I appreciate all of your kind words! Sending love your way too. Xoxo

5. Jennifer Spicer June 9, 2017 / 1:13 pm

I am so happy for you and that you get to live in a ger. I remember that you were hoping to live in the traditional Mongolian lifestyle and it is great that you are having that experience. I can’t wait to see pictures and hear about your adventures.

Liked by 1 person

• Lindsey Hogan June 10, 2017 / 1:26 pm

Thank you Jennifer! It is definitely an experience I am grateful for! I’m having such a great time and I’m so excited to share my experiences with everyone along the way. Hope you’re doing well!!